The number of equine farms is increasing in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states. These farms may influence environmental and water quality because of manure collection, storage, spreading, and disposal practices. A manure management survey was mailed to 2,000 New Jersey equine farms during the winter of 2006 to 2007. Of the 2,000 surveys sent, 472 were returned; 18.5% were from training or performance farms, and the remainder (81.5%) were from breeding, boarding, or pleasure farms. Fifty-four percent of all farms spread manure on their farms. Of those who spread manure, only 27% had more than 8.09 ha (20 acres) available for spreading. Seventy-four percent had a designated area for manure storage. Eighty-three percent said their manure storage was greater than 61 m (200 ft) from water or wetlands, and 86% said storage was greater than 61 m (200 ft) from neighbors. Data were modeled to determine the relationship between manure storage or manure spreading and other management practices. The storage model showed that farms with 6 to 10 horses were more likely to have storage facilities than farms not included in the model. This model had a predictive accuracy of 83.3% and an R2 of 0.35 (P > 0.01). The manure spreading model showed that those who spread manure were also likely to credit manure for its fertilizer value. The spreading model had an overall predictive accuracy of 95.5% and an R2 of 0.795 (P > 0.01). These results indicate that although most equine farms did not pose a direct risk to water quality or to a neighbor, most do not currently use best management practices in managing, spreading, or storing manure.

Original languageAmerican English
Pages (from-to)123-129
Number of pages7
JournalProfessional Animal Scientist
Issue number1
StatePublished - Feb 1 2010

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Food Science
  • Animal Science and Zoology


Dive into the research topics of 'CASE STUDY: Manure Management Practices on New Jersey Equine Farms'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this