Seymour M. Bogdonoff and the princeton gasdynamics laboratory

Alexander J. Smits, Richard B. Miles

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Abstract

The Princeton Gasdynamics Laboratory was founded in about 1950 by Lester Lees and Seymour Bogdonoff. Bogdonoff became its Director in 1953, and remained in that post until 1989. Under his direction the Laboratory became a national powerhouse in aeronautical research. At its peak, the laboratory employed about six or seven faculty, maybe 50 graduate students, and 10 or 12 research associates and technicians, all working with a large range of wind tunnels designed by Bogdonoff, often aided by his close associate Irwin Vas. Here, we review some of the history and accomplishments of the Gasdynamics Laboratory.

Original languageAmerican English
Title of host publicationCollection of Technical Papers - 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting
Pages5931-5951
Number of pages21
StatePublished - 2006
Event44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting 2006 - Reno, NV, United States
Duration: Jan 9 2006Jan 12 2006

Publication series

NameCollection of Technical Papers - 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting
Volume8

Conference

Conference44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting 2006
Country/TerritoryUnited States
CityReno, NV
Period1/9/061/12/06

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Space and Planetary Science
  • Aerospace Engineering

Cite this