Two mechanisms of exciton dissociation in rubrene single crystals

Hikmat Najafov, Byunggook Lyu, Ivan Biaggio, Vitaly Podzorov

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

17 Scopus citations


Excitons in rubrene single crystals dissociate into free charge carriers via two mechanisms whose relative importance depends on the illumination wavelength through the optical penetration depth into the crystal. The first mechanism is defect-induced dissociation in less than 10 ns after photoexcitation. For low photoexcitation densities, about 10% of the excitons that survive radiative recombination dissociate through this channel. The second mechanism, affecting the remaining 90% of the excitons, involves a previously reported state localized close to the surface of the crystal that leads to a delayed release of photocarriers a fraction of a millisecond after photoexcitation.

Original languageAmerican English
Article number183302
JournalApplied Physics Letters
Issue number18
StatePublished - 2010

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physics and Astronomy (miscellaneous)


Dive into the research topics of 'Two mechanisms of exciton dissociation in rubrene single crystals'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this